What is involved in Fixed Wire Testing?
Fixed wire testing involves the inspection and testing of all the electrical installations in a building to ensure they are safe and compliant with regulations. This includes checking main panels, distribution boards, lights, plug sockets and air conditioning, it does not include equipment that is plugged in
Is Fixed Wire Testing a Legal Requirement?
Is fixed wire testing a legal requirement? The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 places a duty of care for all employers to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety and welfare at work of all their employees. Fixed wire testing is an important part of that requirement.
How often should Fixed Wire Testing be carried out?
Most standard workplace environments need an Electrical Installation Condition Report to be produced at least every 5 years. However, there should be regular routine inspections conducted at least annually.
Fixed Wire Testing: 5 Year Period
The majority of business workplaces will require and Electrical Installation Condition Report to be carried out at the maximum period of 5 years. It should be noted however that there will need to be inspections carried out as a matter of routine at least annually.
The usual types of workplace that will need Fixed Wire Testing on a 5 year cycle include:
- The commercial space type of business such as retail outlets and offices
- Restaurants and hotels (not including spa hotels)
- Education establishments of: Universities, Colleges and Schools.
- Pubs, Churches and community centres
- Hospitals (not including medical locations) and care homes
- Houses that have multiple occupancy, Halls of residence
Fixed Wire Testing: 3 Year Period or 1 Year Period
Where there is an environment that is for example exposed to the following:
- Extreme temperatures
- Open to the general public
They are of a higher risk type so need a more frequent testing cycle. This type of workspace will require a test frequency in the 1-3 year window. This is in addition to frequent inspections being carried out.
The usual types of workplace that will need Fixed Wire Testing on a 3 to 1 year cycle include:
- Leisure centres, Spa Hotels
- Industrial Units
- Public entertainment locations, Theatres
- Horticultural establishments or Agricultural
- Cinemas back of house
- Cinemas front of house
- Medical locations in a hospital or clinic
- Sauna and swimming pools
- Marina, Caravan parks
- Petrol stations, Laundrette, Fish farm
We understand that each sector have their own particular requirements regarding the planning and delivery of electrical safety, testing, installation, remedial works and reporting.
ETM are accredited specialists in the following areas, providing cost effective compliance services
Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) • Electrical Installation • Electrical Inspection • Fixed Wire Testing• Repairs and Remedial
• Electrical Compliance • Energy Monitoring • Thermal Imaging • Emergency Lighting Testing • Fire Alarm Testing • Fire Extinguisher • Lightning Protection •Legionnaires Testing
ETM Electrical Test Midlands offers a range of testing and certification services to support customers in managing compliance around electrical safety for new and existing installations.
For further information, call 01922 710014 or visit www.electricaltestmidlands.com for more advice
Industry Experts , Quality Assurance , Online Inspection Portal , National Service Provider